Sunday, April 29, 2007

Bump, Set ... Pray

As I walked up to the volleyball court at the high school 200 sets of African eyes locked on to me and all activity seemed to come to a hault. "You are welcome", said Benteel (one of the students, tall one pictured left with Titus). "Come and play, you are most welcome to join the game." A few serves and spikes later I had some new friends.

In a country where soccer is king God has placed Erica and I next to a school where they play volleyball daily (a sport I love). It is amazing how God works and uses all our experiences and talents to help tell others about Jesus.
I have seen my new friends grow in their volleyball skills as they have asked me for some "coaching", but I have also seen our friendship move from guest to being one of them. Even the headmaster (principal) has asked to know more about our ministry here in Arua and encourages me to invest in the students both in volleyball and spiritually. Who knows what the Lord has for the next step in this friendship, but please pray for guidance and open hearts. Just remember God wants to use you right where you are to reach the world for Him. (Here are some pictures of our new friends)











2 comments:

Kelly Hallahan said...

John and Erica- what a small fun sign of reaffirmation that you are exactly where God wants you! For you to be living next to a group in Africa that loves to play volleyball is amazing! We are praying for you all and love reading these updates.

- Josh (and Kelly and Caleb)

mhvdm said...

Keep up the serving: you are doing great. And you can interpret that both ways. See you at vball today!
mhvdm aka the mundu
(The guy in the blue shirt on the right in the bottow picture.)